Thursday, June 3, 2010

D.HOPPER.




  I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t aware of Dennis Hopper the photographer until recently. I honestly knew only of his acting,I knew he had a contemporary art collection - Lichtenstein, Basquiat, Warhol, Haring, but to learn that he picked up photography based on a suggestion from his buddy James (Dean) and then used the artform to archive the cultural movements he was involved in from the 50’s onwards was a new revelation to me.
A little bit ago I flicked through a copy of his photo book at a friend’s. It was pretty incredible seeing the icons of a generation gone by in their youth, during the ’60s period of massive cultural, political, and social change. I wonder if they knew back then the impact they would leave on this planet.

RIP Dennis Hopper, photographer.
1936-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment